As a landlord, the value of having good tenants is not to be underestimated.
We discussed tenant screening in our June newsletter, but it’s also important to create a good working relationship with your tenants. Not just setting clear expectations but also showing they are valued and treating them as such.
This not just something we pay lip service to. Our Tenants Care policy includes providing:
- A Welcome Pack and First Aid Kit for new tenants
- 24/7 viewing booking system
- Direct access to raise maintenance issues via an app
We also guide tenants through how we work as a company. Outlining upfront our arrears policy and what we expect from them as tenants. In turn, we share what they can expect from us.
Our expectations of tenants are they:
- Pay their rent on time
- Look after the property and treat it like it’s their own
- Are considerate to your neighbours
- Know how to operate the appliances, turn the water off and operate pumps, and where the mains power switch is located
- Regularly test smoke alarms in the property
- Report any need for repairs (this is particularly important if a minor repair they knew about turns into a major problem because they didn’t report it)
- Be aware of the security features of your home and utilise these
- Regularly ventilate your home
- Maintain heat pump filters by cleaning at least once a month and more often during winter
- Please raise any issues with their property manager
Taking care of your tenants has a number of benefits. It helps to attract quality tenants and longer leases (which means fewer vacancies), your home is looked after and the rent is paid on time.